CHESTER POLICE DEPARTMENT COMMUNITY SAFETY SURVEY 2014
This survey is intended to help identify public safety improvements for our community. Your feedback will be used in research for establishing a strategic plan for the Chester Police Department and will help us decide what we should focus on first.
Please fill out this survey and turn it in at any one of our designated submission locations, or mail to:
Chester Police Department
1330 Swanwick St.
Chester, Illinois 62233
Please place a circle or check mark next to your answer.
1) Please rate how serious you feel the level of crime is in our community.
Very Serious 10%
Somewhat Serious 25%
Not too Serious 34%
Not at all Serious 8%
2) In the past three years would you say the level of crime in our community has increased, stayed about the same, or decreased?
Stayed About the Same 55%
3) Would you say the level of police protection in your community has increased, stayed about the same, or decreased over the past three years?
Stayed About the Same 70%
4) Do you feel there needs to be more police patrols, about the same number of patrols, or fewer patrols in our community?
More Patrols 48%
About the Same Number of Patrols 46%
Fewer Police Patrols 4%
5) Does your community have a neighborhood crime watch program?
Don’t Know 3%
6) If a neighborhood watch program was available, would you be interested in participating?
7) How safe do you feel in our community?
Very Unsafe 3%
Very Safe 13%
8) In the past three years, have you been the victim of crime in our community?
9) How safe do you feel going out at night in our community?
Very Unsafe 4%
Very Safe 10%
10) Increasing the level of Police presence in our schools will increase the level of security in our schools.
11) Increasing the Police presence in our schools will have a positive impact on police/student relationships.
12) It has been suggested that vacant/dilapidated buildings, commercial or residential, have a tendency to impact the level of crime in a given neighborhood or community. Do you agree with this concept?
Strongly Agree 31%
Strongly Disagree 0%
13) Do you feel that vacant/dilapidated buildings increase crime rates?
Strongly Agree 28%
Strongly Disagree 0%
14) The concept that community members must actively participate in crime prevention as a partnership with police is a concept I;
Strongly Agree with 30%
Agree with 58%
Disagree with 7%
Strongly Disagree with 2%
15) List in order of importance from 1 to 5 the topics you feel should be the established priorities for the Chester Police Department (1 -being most important; 5 -being least important on the list).
Note: Drug Enforcement was overwhelmingly #1(refer to #16). 14% did not answer the question as directed, so I could not quantify their response.
__1__ Drug Enforcement
__3__ School Safety Programs
__4__ Traffic Enforcement
__2__ Criminal Investigations
__5__ Community Safety Programs (education/personal safety)
____ Other ___________________________________________________
16) What do you feel is the main source of crime in our community?
Environment (buildings, homes, etc.) 7%
Career Opportunity 6%
17) What, if anything, do you feel could be done to decrease crime in our community?
18) What is your age?
66 or older 30%
19) Are you male or female?
20) What is your total household income?
Less than $19,999 19%
$20,000 - $29,999 7%
$30,000 - $39,999 4%
$40,000 - $49,999 10%
$50,000 or above 45%
21) What is the highest level of education you have completed?
Less than High School 14%
High School Diploma or GED 27%
Some College 27%
College Degree 25%
Graduate Level Degree 3%
End of Survey.